Sunday, March 4, 2007

Flickr and its Communities

Flickr has to 2 objectives:

1 - We want to help people make their photos available to the people who matter to them.

2 - We want to enable new ways of organizing photos.

Flickr does these two things with communities and several other tools. For now I want to talk about the communities. As I started my blog I joined communites, read their info and posted some topics of discussion.

In these communites also know as groups, there is a photo pool on the front as well as recent topics of discussion. At the bottom of the first page of the group gives a little discription of the group. In a community page there are several helpful navigation tools. There is a discussion section, photo pool section, map section, members and invite. The navigation tool that i find that most interesting is the map tool. With the map tool it takes you to a view of the United States. With the map you can click on a dot on the map and it will take you to that person and their pictures. For my self its nice to find people in Oregon and even better in Eugene.

I have found it very dificult to become connected with people on Flickr.com. No matter how many groups I joined, or how many topics i post no one wants to reply. I went out a commented on several peoples photographs and recieved e in return commenting on my photographs. I was talking with a grad. student in the photo-lab, she was saying that she was havn't a hard to creating contacts on Flickr when she started. She said that it took her six months to gain contacts that she could keep in regular contact with.

In my attempts to create contacts in the past weeks has been a failure. I am not giving up. Even though the class is coming to an end I will still be attempting to create contacts that can give me criticism on my photographs that I have posted. My over all goal is to network with people in spacific communities where I can ask questions and further my study of photography.

No comments: